Here’s a smattering of my latest articles and posts at FlexJobs. Enjoy!
8 Reasons Employers Should Let You Telecommute: Considering that just this month, 49 out of the 50 United States were experiencing snowfall, with 70% of the country actually blanketed in snow, it may have occurred to a few of our readers that working at home can come in pretty darn handy. And while you might be convinced of telecommuting’s virtues, your boss may remain skeptical. CBS’s MoneyWatch.com has eight great tips for convincing your boss to let you telecommute.
10 Ways to Increase Your Job Search Success: If you’re in the middle of a job search, it’s probably occurred to you that some employers are more organized than others. At The Children’s Aid Society in New York City, they do a very nice service for job seekers by telling them the “ten ways to increase your chances of getting hired.” Not only is this useful for job seekers who want to work at their organization, but it’s excellent information for anyone conducting a job search.
Telework Week, February 14-18: Teleworkers, unite! The Telework Exchange is organizing National Telework Week 2011, “a nationwide effort to encourage agencies, organizations, and individuals to pledge to telework on February 14-18, 2011.” What’s the point of a week dedicated to telecommuting? The Telework Exchange hopes that it gives employers and employees a chance to see for themselves the benefits of teleworking.
FlexJobs Profiled by NBC’s 9News Denver: FlexJobs was recently featured on Denver’s 9News and 9News.com as “A job search site that’s worth paying for” and we couldn’t be happier!
Workplace Flexibility Initiative is “Moving Work Forward”:Workplace flexibility news alert! The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and the Families and Work Institute (FWI) announced a partnership called Moving Work Forward in order “to help organizations be more successful by transforming the way businesses view and adopt flexible workplace practices.” This partnership, announced at the beginning of February, is designed to promote workplace flexibility, share best practices among employers, and help employers and employees reap the benefits of flexibility at work.
Benefits of Telecommuting During The Big Winter Storm
- Greetings from the Great White South! Nope, not North — South. The biggest winter storm in over a decade hit my current hometown of Atlanta last week and the entire city was in a stand-still. For four days, my tiny side street was frozen solid while the Department of Transportation worked to clear the highways of inches-thick ice. Luckily, I didn’t have to worry about leaving the house for work, because I’m a telecommuter! It seems that 2011 is the year of the storm-stranded telecommuter. Unable (or perhaps rightfully unwilling) to brave the snow and ice to get to work, more employers and employees are opting for telecommuting schedules during storms.
SAHMs vs. WAHMs: Do Moms Really Need to Choose Between Work and Family?
- An article titled, “SAHMs Should Get a Job” posted this week at TheStir.CafeMom.com got me thinking about the constant battle that mothers face about raising their children and working. The “to work or not to work” question is always contested and never resolved, and I truly believe it’s because there is no ONE answer for every woman. And for me, an answer that works right now may no longer work in a year or two or ten.
10 Best Part-time Jobs This Week
- We’re happy to introduce a new weekly feature on the FlexJobs blog! Every week, we’ll be profiling ten of the “Best Jobs” within our listings– ten interesting, exciting, or just plain fun jobs that can be found in the FlexJobs listings. This week, we’re taking a look at some of the most recently posted part-time jobs. They include jobs from categories such as Web Design, Health & Medical, Education jobs and more.
I realize it’s been a while since I posted links to some of my work. Here’s what I’ve been up to at FlexJobs over the past couple months. Lots more to come in the next few weeks. Thanks for reading!
How to answer the question, “Why have you been unemployed for so long?”
- The news is littered with stories of unemployed job seekers who can’t seem to find a new job. Some employers even admit to not considering a candidate if they are unemployed, opting for already-employed job seekers instead. While we abhor that kind of policy, it’s important for unemployed job seekers to understand how their unemployment might affect their job search, and how to handle — and prepare for — the dreaded question, “Why have you been unemployed for so long?” … read full article
Employees more satisfied at companies with flexible work schedules
- Bain & Company, a global business consulting firm, recently released the results of their survey of 3,300 managers and professionals from around the world about work satisfaction. One of the questions asked was, “How likely are you to recommend your organization to a friend or a colleague?” No surprise to us, the folks surveyed who work for companies with a commitment to flexible scheduling and job options were much more likely to recommend their employers to friends and colleagues. … read full article
Top 3 telecommuting office must-haves
- When making the transition from a traditional office to a home office, it’s important to make sure you have the right tools and gadgets to help you succeed. The most important tools are the ones that help you communicate with your coworkers, wherever they might be. Fast Company created a list of their favorite work-from-home tools for telecommuters and we’d like to share their ideas with you, along with our own tool tips. All of the telecommuting tools we’ve included are free! … read full article
Ebb and flow, wax and wane, up and down: This lil’ freelance writing thing I’m giving a go is indeed a study in cycles. It seems that just as my time with Ology comes to a close (you can still find all of my previously written articles on the Ology site), the blogging component of my work with FlexJobs is picking right up.
Here are my most recent articles at FlexJobs.com:
- Employers Should Warm Up to Telecommuting in Winter
- Government Gets Serious about Telecommuting
- Customized Resumes and Cover Letters are Better for Your Job Search
- Freelance Jobs Change the Way Companies and Individuals Work
- Job Search Scam Tip – Just Because It’s Free Doesn’t Mean It’s Not a Scam
- Fun, Cool Job that can be Done From Anywhere: Official T-Shirt Wearer
- 8 Great Tips for Phone Interviews
- Part-time Job Opportunities for Professionals
- Employees Value Telecommuting, Survey Finds
My scribbles for FlexJobs and Examiner during the week of September 27th.
- Employees value telecommuting, survey finds
- FlexJobs interviewed by leading military support non-profit, Operation Homefront
- Part-time jobs offer flexibility and fulfillment
- Position primer: Defining telecommute, freelance, part-time, and flexible jobs
- Weekend food festivals, October 1 – 3, 2010